On Wed, 2015-07-01 at 15:16 +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> I'm trying to improve OpenVPN performance on a site-to-site link I have
> between 2 pfSense boxes.
>
> I am currently only getting around 7Mbps each way via the OpenVPN
> tunnel, measured by running iperf back and forth between Linux servers
> at each end behind the pfSense.
>
> In each case, tunnel throughput is between 7 and 7.5Mbps.

Chris

Your first job is to establish a real baseline.  That is: How fast can
you really move data between the two sites without any tunnels?  You may
have to be creative with NATting and other tricks to get a system at
each end to see the other.

Once you have a proper figure to work towards then introduce OpenVPN or
IPSEC or whatever.

If your ~18Mbps is a real measured figure then consider:  UDP vs TCP,
MTU, TUN vs TAP.  You don't mention what you are using already.

Cheers
Jon