ED Fochler wrote on Tue, Jul 7 2015 at 1:10 pm:

> FTP is a nasty beast.  There’s active, passive, and extended passive
> connections.  You may need a client that does extended passive (epsv?) to work
> properly.  Standard passive will hand back the server’s IP & data port over
> the
> control connection, so unless PFSense is altering the packets as they leave,
> or
> ProFTPd knows that it needs to respond to that IP range with a masqueraded
> IP, standard passive will get hung up.

http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/config_ref_MasqueradeAddress.html

Basically that should hand out the public IP for the passive connection,
instead of the server's LAN IP.  However (not tested) that may well break
internal FTP, unless perhaps requests to the WAN IP are reflected back inside.
I think I would even expect internal FTP users to have to connect via the WAN
IP also.

--

Steve Yates
ITS, Inc.