>I ended up spending over an hour trying to get that little system
> to pick up a DHCP address for their Comcast router.

Once upon a time, Comcast used to install their modems and register the mac
address of the NIC of the customer's computer. Sort of a way of preventing
their customers from stealing service, I suppose.

But now, they don't care. All you have to do is power down the modem, attach
it to whatever NIC you like, and power it up. It will see the change of MAC
and dhcp assign an ip to whatever is there.

I've heard, that you can also just clear the ARP table of the modem to do
the same thing, but power off/on might be easier.