The freebsd port for GA works great. I've only ever used it for SSH logins
when no public key is used, and only on FreeBSD servers (not pfSense).

The only files you really need from the package are

/usr/local/bin/google-authenticator
/usr/local/lib/pam_google_authenticator.so

The configuration for PAM is trivial too.