Here's my config file backup script bits for pfSense:

curl -k -c ${COOKIEFILE} -d
"login=Login&usernamefld=admin&passwordfld=$FWPASS"
https://${FWHOST}/diag_backup.php
curl -k -b ${COOKIEFILE} -d "Submit=download&donotbackuprrd=checked"
-o config-${FWHOST}.xml https://${FWHOST}/diag_backup.php

where COOKIEFILE is some secure temp file name. the rest of the
variables should be obvious.

As I recall, this works for 2.0 and up. Definitely works for the most
current release.