On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Olivier Mascia <o...@integral.be> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for advices and best practices when running pfSense (this
time it will be 2.3) in a vmware VM.  I'm offered to move some resources to
a virtual datacenter made of dedicated hardware hosts in clusters, running
ESXi 6.0 and vSphere.  I have access to such an infrastructure for the next
3 weeks.  I have used pfSense in a number of devices and hosts, but never
inside a VM, except for experimenting with configurations of pfSense itself.

> I could build up a pfSense 2.3 VM without real difficulties.  Installing
the integration tools was easy through the included package.  Now, what are
the pitfalls I should look for?  Any shared vmware experience from you will
undoubtedly help fine tuning this.

> For now the pfSense VM I configured has these resources: OS declared to
vSphere is FreeBSD 10.3 64 bits, 1 socket, 2 cores, 2 GHz reserved, 2 GB
RAM, 10 GB HD, 2 network adapters. I'm generally resources-conservative but
I could allow much more if it makes sense.

> For these adapters I have the choice between E1000, VMXNET 2, VMXNET 3.
I have set them for VMXNET 3 but without background about this being the
right-thing-to-do or not. At least it seems to work but I still need to
stress test the VM (traffic-wise) a little bit.

> Are there tunings inside pfSense which you could recommend / not live
without, based on your experience inside vmware virtual machines?

> Network interfaces settings? All are set for their default pfSense
values, which means TCP segmentation offloading and large receive
offloading are disabled. Would it make sense to enable those?

> Thanks for any insight you might want to share.
>
> --
> Meilleures salutations, Met vriendelijke groeten, Best Regards,
> Olivier Mascia, integral.be/om

https://blog.pfsense.org/?p=1716

They have an appliance you can purchase now.