That's the answer I was looking for.

It occurs to me that Chris has just described the very configuration of thousands of corporate laptops with Wi-Fi adapters and wired NIC's on the same LAN subnet, with the same gateway :-)

Even Microsoft spells this out as a No-No: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/175767

"If you configure a Windows-based computer that has more than one network adapter on the same physical network and protocol subnet, you may experience unexpected results. ...by definition, only one adapter may communicate on the network at a time in the Ethernet network topology. ... Additionally, broadcast messages must be handled by each adapter because both are listening on the same network. This configuration requires significant overhead, excluding any protocol-related issues."