"Lightning surge damage to Ethernet and POTS ports connected to
inside wiring"
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=3D6842005

A summary of the paper:
http://incompliancemag.com/article/lightning-surge-damage-to-ethernet-and-pots-ports-connected-to-inside-wiring/

a slide deck on the same subject, by the same author:
http://www.atis.org/peg/docs/2015/LightningSurgeDamage_JRandolph.pdf

In which:

> Interestingly, some generic replacement power supplies purchased on the
Internet showed breakdown levels as low as 3 kV. Internal inspection
revealed that the isolation barriers in these supplies were not compliant
with [10]. These non-compliant supplies had no safety markings from
independent labs, although they did have the CE marking for manufacturer’s
self-declaration in Europe.

Which is to say cheap far-eastern wall warts are not compliant, though
claiming to be.

> At present there is no evidence of non-compliant power supplies being
used by name brand manufacturers of routers and cordless phones.

"Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to
any manufacturers
of dairy products." [1]

But here's the important bottom line:

> The key point here is that a high current, fast rise time surge on the AC
mains can interact with the inductance of the ground wire to create a high
voltage common mode surge on every cable that is connected to the surge
protector. In some sense, the surge protector takes a surge on the AC mains
and “broadcasts” it onto every cable that is connected to the surge
protector. This happens despite the fact the surge protector has been
installed correctly and the ground wire of the AC mains outlet is connected
properly.

In other words, your ground wire won't help you.   Check the slide deck
(and paper), it can be that the ground potential has risen.

I'll add that inductive coupling is a function of the rate of change rather
than the peak current.  So when di/dt is a small fraction of infinity, it
doesn't really matter much that your inductor coil is a stretch of wire
five meters away ... it's going to get a big spike of current and the teeny
tiny little transistors in your equipment are going to arc over.  A small
puff of smoke will appear.  If you're unlucky, a fire will shortly (narf)
follow.

Surge protectors have several practical failures:

1 - they are rated for a certain amount of energy, and a big strike
overwhelms that, so you're done.

2 - they are rated for that amount of energy over their service lifetime,
which means that come the big storm your five-year-old surge protector has
actually sacrificed itself to a thousand little surges that you never
noticed over the time it's been in service.

3 - they have a response curve that makes them more suitable for lower
di/dt or dv/dt spikes ... this makes them a good protection for spikes that
originate far away and get their sharp edges worn off as they travel across
the network, not so much for close hits.

For extra credit:

Who did some of the important early research on lightning effects?  Why, Mr
Steinmetz, of course.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Proteus_Steinmetz

tl;dr: your multiport surge protectors are a prime suspect.

Jim

[1] https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Monty_Python%27s_Life_of_Brian