> On Aug 3, 2016, at 9:18 PM, Moshe Katz <mo...@ymkatz.net> wrote:
>
> Maybe I'm reading too much into points 1 (second paragraph) and 4 of your
> message, but it sounds somewhat hostile to the old use-your-own-hardware
> selling point that brought me into the pfSense community ten years ago in the
> first place.

Moshe,

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate your reaching out. I think that
perhaps you are over-reading my response.

Use-your-own hardware (if you want) is still a key point of pfSense, and it's
not changing, even though I get challenged frequently on same both inside and
outside the company.

I've literally had people (outside the company) challenge me during the past 24
hours that there is "no barrier to entry" for people entering the market to
sell appliances based on pfSense software (typically on Amazon or eBay).

This is truth.

We carry on anyway.

Personally, I think pfSense has gotten a lot better during the past several
years as we've been able to bring dedicated professional staff to bear on the
process of keeping up to date with our upstream project(s), rather than lagging
by several years.  All the changes to the toolchain to support this remain open
source.

Case in point: 2.4 snapshots will begin shortly, based on FreeBSD 11, which is
not yet in release candidate form.  MPD and captive portal don't work, but
these will be fixed before 2.4-release.  The captive portal work will serve to
decrease our technical debt, due to the elimination of several patches found in
pfSense that will never be upstreamed, and are not up to our standards of
quality.  2.4 will also bring the ARM architecture to pfSense. We've also moved
to bsdinstall, which means that ZFS is an option during install. Moving from
PBI to pkg-ng as part of 2.3 enabled this work. This move included a huge
improvement in the build tools to be a lot more like those found in FreeBSD.
Work in this area continues.

Past efforts to improve both FreeBSD and pfSense include bringing AES-GCM to
IPsec. Work continues on making the stack faster and better, see our paper,
Measurement and Improvement of a software based IPsec implementation to be
given at Eurobsdcon next month.
https://2016.eurobsdcon.org/speakers/  (this effort is a pre-requisite to
making QAT work at speed.)

The entire FreeBSD community (including various forks of pfSense) benefits from
these efforts, just as the entire pfSense community benefits both from these
efforts as well as those of outside collaborators like BBCan117 (pfblockerNG)
or Denny Page (dpinger, bringing the NUT package back to 2.3+) or Bill Meeks
(Snort and Suricatta) or Phil Davis (space does not allow me to begin to
enumerate Phil's contributions) or even Kill Bill/doktornotor.   I hesitate
mentioning these because I have left many others out, and I do not mean to
slight their efforts by not mentioning them.

All of it, every single piece, is under a liberal open source license.

But it remains true that there would not be a project but for the core
developers and core contributors.  We preferentially employ FreeBSD committers
to work on pfSense. This has always been true. Running the project takes funds.

- Donations don't work, and we ask that anyone who wants to donate to pfSense
instead donate to the FreeBSD Foundation.
- Support does not scale.
- Appliance sales do.

I am not blocking BYOH, nor have I made any plans to do so.  I'm not hostile to
it at all, Moshe.

This said, people selling appliances based on pfSense *who do not otherwise
contribute to pfSense* (or worse, who work against pfSense), are not part of
the solution.

Applianceshop/Deciso, and every one of their "opnsense" partners still also
offer pfSense on the same appliances. None of them contribute to pfSense, all
are willing to see it destroyed.  I do not endorse or support these companies
and individuals.

Any number of parties on eBay and Amazon (and elsewhere) sell pfSense
appliances, but none of them contribute to pfSense or FreeBSD. I don't block
these, though I do insist that they correctly use our trademarks. That said, I
do not endorse or support these parties, as they do not participate in the
project or upstream, while freely availing themselves of our efforts.

Companies as large as VMware, Cisco and Avaya have forks or components of
pfSense as part of their product set. None of them contribute to pfSense or
FreeBSD. We are approached several times per week by companies large and small,
almost always with a one-way deal.

In every healthy relationship there is an exchange of value where each party
gets something out of the exchange, even if it is relatively small.  This can
be a deliberate exchange, or it can be embedded in social interaction and
conversation.

Value may be a perception of benefit, rather than something material.  It may
or may not be quantifiable and it may be highly valued or of limited value. It
may also be unconsciously rather than consciously assessed.

A critical aspect of value exchange is that each side is content with what they
are getting relative to what they are giving. The underlying principle that
makes this work is that of barter, where people have a surfeit of some things
(and thus value them less), and exchange them for things they want or need
(which they value more).

A common social value exchange involves some combination of information,
affirming relationship and soothing of troubles.  The classic retail and
business value exchange is money for goods and services.

Open source is no different, there are sill value exchanges that must exist.
All sides must be content with the exchange.

I look forward to your response.

Jim