On Feb 19, 2018, at 10:10 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.voloti...@iki.fi> wrote:

> Well. Does it require so much power, that I cannot run it on intel core2
> quad Q9400, 2.66Ghz processor (4 cores) ?

What a curious question.  It does not require "so much power" but it does
require a minimum hardware spec, which that CPU will lack (no AESNI).

I can understand why people would be unhappy that their hardware becomes
unsupported by a new release, but I also understand it's common in the
computing industry and makes a lot of sense for Netgate to do this (reduced
support costs; increased developer focus; etc.).  It's nice, also, they've laid
out a roadmap for doing this and telegraphed clearly how they plan to support
older hardware and for how long.  It's not like they just decided yesterday
over a couple of pints at the pub to throw everyone without AESNI-capable CPUs
under the bus right now.

I still have a CF NanoBSD-based pfSense installation running on Netgate
hardware, and I appreciate they are still supporting 2.3, giving people like me
time to migrate off to something else.

Cheers,

Paul.