I have to do these upgrades remotely, I have very little choice.

What is the difference between executing the php installer via point
and click and doing the upgrade via ssh?

I see the entire upgrade, and the last thing I see before I get
disconnected is the call for reboot.

It is high risk compared to serial, but when you are doing the job
remotely, and the pfsense device is your core router, how do I log in
and see the serial data?