Okay, granted.  Here's the same rule with a different word...

headrule: [some
        [thru "=== " copy header to newline
        (       append header " (FIRST LEVEL)"
                append full-contents header)            |
        thru "--- " copy header to newline
        (       append header " (SECOND LEVEL)"
                append full-contents header)    ]
]

Now, I still only see FIRST LEVEL stored in full-contents while
it's a fact lines with "--- " exist in the file being used...

I've tried the above in just about every concievable possible
combination and have spent several hours messing with it.  Doesn't
seem to be possible.  In fact, doing something like
[ ... thru ["--- " | "=== "] ... generates a nice rediculous
error about how "--- | === " can't be used as an argument.....

I'm ready to kick something.  Got to be up and at work in a few
minutes.  Might as well go to bed and forget this nonsense...

  Fiestiness,

                                        ------EAT