Andrew,

  By the time I posted that, my various combinations involved in trying
to make it work were getting a bit convoluted.  It's called "desperation".
I want to understand how this works BADLY.  It's been gnawing away at me
to sit down and figure it out one of these days...  So, with docs in hand,
here I am getting nowhere, and taking pleanty of time to get there.

  At this point, the docs are flawed, REBOL's flawed, or my brain is.

  Haven't decided which quite yet, but I'm leaning toward the docs
momentarily.  Seems to me, according to the FM, everything I've been
trying and doing should have been working.

  Cheerfulness,

                                                ------EAT