I might point out that ICMP is sort of a sub-part of the IP protocol...
below TCP or UDP (something else I'd like to see in REBOL).  Ping is quite
trivial to implement down at that level... but one must be able to access
the low-level stuff.  I dunno if that's even possible in REBOL.  I don't
appreciate what the security aspects would be... especially if one could
enable/disable the ping response as desired.  I'd love to see more low-level
ability/control in REBOL!

There are definitely ways of knowing if your "connected to a host".. but
ping doesn't require a connection... why it's so nice.

Russ