> well, welcome to the current 'hip trendy idea' in computing. theres the
> 'Open Source bandwagon' thats rolled into town demanding that all
> software be free and that the authors only reward is Kudos.

Well, not quite. The open source movement is coming around to realizing that
open source developers should be paid for their effort. One such project is
SourceXchange at http://www.sourcexchange.com. It states the following on
the developer page:

"Are you a developer who would like to be compensated for your work on Open
Source software? sourceXchange offers developers like you the opportunity to
be matched with sponsored, funded Open Source projects. sourceXchange is
also a place for you to tout your developer credentials and search for
projects fitting for your own particular skills and interests. You can make
a proposal to undertake a sourceXchange project or you can post your own
Open Source project ideas."

SourceXchange was started by Brian Behlendorf of the Apache project. I know
of at least another such project going on.

Hope this helps,

Cheryl