On 7-Dec-1999/23:20:01-5:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>For instance, I can use the word read for so many different things...
>reading from an ftp site, reading from a web page, getting a directory
>listing, reading a file, and on and on. Is there something internal in the
>read function that does something like
>
>if (arg.type == "ftp")<lb>
>    // Do the ftp read
><rb>
>else if(arg.type == "file")<lb>
>    // Read a file from the filesystem
><rb>
>
>etc. (you get the idea)? So is it impossible to 'add' capabilities to "read"
>without "overloading" the word so it wouldn't be able to be used as it
>normally is? For instance, if I wanted to be able to say:
>
>read pnm://whatever-real-audio-file
>
>and have it do something over pnm (whatever that is... it's something the
>realplayer uses). In other words, add a new protocol capability (but still
>be able to say: read ftp://ftp.site.com).
>
>or read audiobook://blahblah
>
>and have read be some kind of speech synthesizer and actually "read" the
>book. This is a silly example, but you get the idea.

Maybe not so silly after all...REBOL can read a web page to you using the
striptags.r file from www.rebol.ORG on the Amiga like so:

;first enter MOUNT SPEAK: on the Amiga
do %striptags.r
write %/speak striptags read http://www.rebol.com

The result of this will be a robotic voice reading you the content of the page.
--
                           Bohdan "Bo" Lechnowsky
                           REBOL  Adventure Guide