I also subscribe to the Icon list, and just received this message that I
thought the Rebol list might be interested in.

(COPY)

Dear Icon Group,

Dr. Dobb's just ran an article on the new REBOL language.  I am curious
to know
what the Icon Consortium thinks of this language in comparison to Icon.

   http://www.rebol.com/inthenews.html
   http://www.rebol.com/quotes.html

REBOL is an interpreted language with an English-like syntax and is
geared
mostly toward Internet functionality.  It also has strong data
manipulation
features akin to Icon's.  That is the most I can say at first glance,
and leads
to my question:  Where do the philosophies of REBOL and Icon diverge?

While I grasp the key underlying aspects of Icon, I can't get my head
around
REBOL.  It appears to me that in some vague sense the philosophies
behind the
two languages have much in common.

To take one concrete example, Unicon/Icon2 claims to be a worthy
replacement for
Perl for a variety of reasons.  However REBOL makes exactly the same
claim, and
is here now for all platforms while Unicon/Icon2 sits in perpetual beta
state
and only for Unix.

The author of REBOL is a well-known character in Silicon Valley with a
lot of
experience.  He researched over 50 languages before starting the REBOL
project.
The REBOL project has attracted venture capital, but the core version is
freeware.  The commercial vision is to have REBOL running every
Internet-capable
device as the core messaging engine.  Your Internet Toaster will speak
REBOL to
your watch.

The major claimed benefit of REBOL is "dialects" but I fail to grasp how
these
work.  If you can explain them to me in addition to the comparison with
Icon,
double thanks are yours.  The REBOL literature seems a little sparse
about this
feature.  Evidently it is connected with the REBOL "parse" function.

Somewhere on the REBOL pages I also read that REBOL serves as its own
meta-language, or something equally cryptic.  I need a computer
scientist to
hold my hand at this point because I lost my beanie cap.

An interesting aspect of REBOL as it touches on Icon is that REBOL
already
incorporates the port/socket/IO features that were supposed to be the
new-and-improved aspects of Icon2/Unicon.  This overlap is another area
for
comparison and contrast.  Internet functionality is a major theme of
this
language.

In summary, my questions are
1) Do you think the driving computer-science philosophies behind REBOL
and Icon
are very similar?
2) Where do they differ?
3) Is Icon's destiny pointing in the direction of REBOL?

Sincerely,

Mark Evans

(END COPY)

--