Thank you Ted for your comments but actually I have no such a web server where I can manipulate permissions and so on. My website is hosted by some guys I don't even know but don't allow CGI scriptting on their server.

I need to find ways that don't envolve server side solutions to handle protection file stuff.

It seems that only with a Java Applet I could do that. Am I wrong?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, December 30, 1999 5:13 PM
Subject: [REBOL] Simple Password Checking Re:

Why don't you want them to enter their own username and password?

If that's not a critical requirement, and if you're using an Apache Web server, you should be able to do this just by editing a permissions file in whatever directories you want to protect. The browser would then prompt for the username and password automatically, and there is nothing else to do. Under Windows, I think if their desktoip login name/password matches a Website user/password, they might not be prompted at all, but I would have to check that.

Another approach would be to use a script that checked the password in an internal file, and then passed them the URL to download from a secret directory on your server. If you didn't want them to bother with a password the second time, from the same location, you could save the user information in a cookie.

In either case, they wouldn't need REBOL on their machines. It can all be handled server side. Entering the username/password at least once seems simpler than getting people to install REBOL to run one script.

If this is a critical requirement for same reason, another idea might be to distribute a HTML page with their username and password embedded in a "click me" hyperlink, which would then send this to a server-side script (see approach /2).

-Ted.