Hello,
On 03-Jan-00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> I guess there really isn't a built-in printing mechanism. The
>> workaround

--snip--

> PDF is a Good Thing but only a couple of platforms are supported by
> Adobe. Elsewhere the user is reliant on various hacks and ports of Linux
> code.

--snip--

> Text-only printing is really only useful for program code etc nowadays -
> even emails often contain specifications as to which font they should be
> printed in.

IMO e-mail should remain plain text, attach an HTML, RTF or even PDF (if you
must) document if you need that fancy formatting.

> How far is Rebol planned to be its own OS, as Java is?

Java is an OS (boot straight to Java)?  What does it run on as such?

> But using the local libraries will make cross-platform coding impossible,
> as some platforms will provide functions (such as algorithmic embolding)
> that others lack. Some support Unicode, others do not. Problems ...

Since Rebol is compiled for each platform wouldn't it be possible to have a
Rebol module which on one platform will use the apropriate OS routine or
library, and on another include the necessary support routines?

Elliott