The HTTPD 1.1 spec is at

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt and others are linked from
http://WWW.W3.ORG/Protocols/Specs.html

In general, we're suppose to use GET for small amounts of read-only
data that won't affect content on the server, and POST for writing new
pages, updating databases, and like that. When you use GET, the input
string is URL-encoded as the QUERY-STRING environment variable, and
passed as part of the URL (after the ? mark). The URL is suppose to be
limited to 1024 characters (including the file name and any expansion
caused by the URL-encoding), and some older servers might truncate that
at 512. If you sending lines and lines of text, you probably want to go
with POST.

-Ted.