thanks, [EMAIL PROTECTED], that is what I was trying to achieve.
"change" sure does the trick. However, it is interesting that REBOL let you
do this:
>>  blk: [["A" "B" "C"] ["D" "E" "F"]]
== [["A" "B" "C"] ["D" "E" "F"]]
>> blk/1/1: "X"
== ["X" "B" "C"]
but not this:
>> i: 1
== 1
>> blk/:i/:i: "Y"
** Syntax Error: Invalid word -- :i:.
** Where: (line 1) blk/:i/:i: "Y"
>> [blk/:i/:i]: "Y"
** Syntax Error: Invalid word-get -- :.
** Where: (line 1) [blk/:i/:i]: "Y"
all I am trying to do is substitute the "value" 1 with :i both are
equivalent, are they not? IMHO expressions like these should be evaluatable
as they are so convenient to construct and I can think of lots of other
advantages for this type of syntax.

Nitish
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.loka.net/
PS: Sorry, folks - for sending my first message out twice..I am
learning...:)