From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 12:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [REBOL] REBOL and ... documentation Re:(2)

I thought the examples in the documentation were great for learning the
language (i.e. simple examples for performing simple tasks), but then again
I'm a programmer. I can see now that a book is really needed to explain more
detail (for those tasks which aren't as straight-forward).

The most notable information missing (for me) was what I could do with
REBOL. I had no immediate need for internet communications (and knew very
little about it), and because REBOL was text-only with no OS interface, I
was at a loss for a useful application.

So I made one up: a text-based game (ok, so not very useful). As I grew more
bold with REBOL coding, and copied the networking TCP code from
multisession.r (on rebol.org), I converted the single-player game to a MUD
server. This is the first networking (and first multi-user/multi-player)
program I've ever written. NOW I've got something that impresses even myself
- and I never would have done it without the ease of programming in REBOL.

You can telnet into the MUD server at: calweb.com, port 3000 (you'll want
local echo ON). Feel free to login and crash it. <thinking> Sometime soon I
should probably add directions/documentation </thinking>

- Michael Jelinek