Really?  It worked for me... but I'm on Linux.
Try it with 'trace/net on'

trace/net on

DstFile: ftp://usr:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/log.txt
SrcFile: ftp://usr:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/log.bak
text: read/lines DstFile
if exists? SrcFile [delete SrcFile]
rename DstFile SrcFile
foreach line text [
        write/append DstFile join line newline
]

So if you do that to a small file (just 2-3 lines), what does the
trace show is happening?

Sterling