[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> FTP can do quite a number of things... we don't implement them all
> because the "standard" or "required" set of commands is rather small
> and support for the extra features is not guaranteed.  Within REBOL
> right now, you can:
>
> read, write, append to, delete, and rename files
> read, make, delete, and rename dirs
>
> I think that's the list.  However, the FTP protocol itself has many
> other commands that are optionally supported by servers.
> There is a command to restart a broken transfer at a specified point,
> and a few that can specify the structure of the target file system or
> file to be used... I'm not really dure how they get used or how many
> servers implement stuff like that.

The ftp restart command is "REST", which you include before sending the
ftp read, write or append commands.  The restart command is fairly
common.

> Append is probably the only thing there you didn't know about.  FTP
> cannot do any mid-file editing within the protocol... for that you'd
> have to transfer the whole file back and forth and do the edit
> locally.
>
> It might be neat to implement some way to get that download restart
> command worked in but how do you put that info into the URL?

I've hacked the ftp protocol so you can do "read/custom
ftp://ftp.rebol.com/test.txt [restart 10]", which starts downloading the
test.txt file, but skipping the first 10 bytes.  It's only a very minor
hack too...  the same thing could be done for http servers that support
restarting, but that might be a little more complex.

Julian Kinraid