[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >- Open Your Mind -<
>
> Quoting from Tim's message (13-Jun-00 23:11:44).
>
> t> I am beginning to use core as a CGI workhorse for me (and I
> t> hope Carl continues with it, despite some evidence to
> t> the contrary in this list).
>
> I still don't have this sorted out...
> Do /Core and /View share the same source with, say, just a definition at the top
>like "#define CORE" to compile one or the other? Or are the differences more profound?
> Judging on the basis of what little I know, I guess that when /View's ready, it will
>be a matter of hours before the corresponding /Core comes out... Am I right?
>
> One other thing :-(and consider I still have to look at /View for lack of time, so I
>may not have a global vision)-:
> If, when it comes out of beta/gamma state, /View is just /Core with a GUI, then
>/Core is just /View without a GUI, no?

Yes, you are right ....

> So, the way I see it, the only reason to keep /Core is the smaller disk/memory
>footprint (and maybe a slightly higher speed), something useful for, say, webservers.
>How am I doing, so far? But, based on the current difference in size of the two
>executables, I'd *guess* (and I'm not qualified to guess :-) the gain won't be large
>enough to justify having /Core around any more: just use /View without using its GUI.
>
> Am I missing something?

Probably a few issues. Some people like /Core :-) Some people were also reporting
slower start of /View in comparison to /Core, and as for CGI, it's a strong argument
again /Core denial. And then there's also distribution question - I remember times RT
claimed REBOL's gonna be spread by emails too, and then there's a difference in size
as a factor worth consideration ...

Also, according to discussion on beta list, it seems to me more people would still
prefer classical aproach - one /Core = kernel thru all REBOL products, and then
additional loadable modules (libraries, components, whatever) - /View, /Shell, /ODBC,
/Library-access, etc. As with current situation, there is some limitation - we can't
combine /View and /Command and /Apache and /Command together. Who's gonna produce all
that variants for us?

Anyway - REBOL/View's cool. I don't use CGI, I use /Apache module, so I will be
satisfied for some time, if someone gives me /Apache with /Command functionality and
/Command with /View functionality.

One other opinion was - shell access and library calls should become part of /Core,
free of charge. On the other hand /ODBC is something RT could let us pay for  ...

Remember that future can bring us another modules, and then it will not be just 300kb
molded into one .exe file :-)

Cheers,

-pekr-