It might be your firewall, if you have one.  The 2.3 release needs to have a line:

  system/schemes/ftp/passive: on

in order to run in passive mode.  Not very user friendly, sorry.  2.2 did it
automatically, but this mode cannot be reliably detected on some firewalls.

I'm think that we need to detect it better under 2.3... and do at least as well as 2.2
in guessing at it.

-Carl