Gee, there is no wonder why my stuff dont run the first time...  What you shown
actually works, the to-file as I indicated is useless, since you already specified
the filename as a file.  Anyways here is my scribbles for code that demonstrates
your doing the right thing:

rebol []

forever [
  filename: to-file ask "file:  "
  directory: read %./ ;read the directory into a block
  found: find directory filename
  if found [ print rejoin ["Found:  " first found ] ]
]

Your bug is unlisted, try running a trace on it.

--Ryan

"Fishing baskets are employed to catch fish;
but when the fish are got, the men forget
the baskets; snares are employed to catch
hares; but when the hares are got, the men
forget the snares. Words are employed
to convey ideas; but when the ideas are
grasped, men forget the words."  --Chuang Tzu