On 9/22/2000 at 8:51 AM [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> You are starting to sound a little disheartened in your recents
posts.. :-(

Oh, I've always been a little cranky, just haven't been posting as
much. The sad part is I'm still saying the same things I said a year
ago. My concern is that people get so excited about REBOL as a
language, they overlook its basic needs as a competitive product. It
would be nice to see thoughtful, efficient design actually win for a
change.

> Now with /command and Ralph's forthcoming e-commerce book, REBOL for
server-side db work will be easier to pitch. I would expect to see
growth in this area over the next year (can we do ssl? though).

Actually, what first attracted me to REBOL was an article that
mentioned someone who was doing all their ecommerce applications in
REBOL. See relatively few posts about this sort of thing though.
Though, I think most of the people who would use REBOL for eCommerce
don't have access to an ODBC or Oracle database. I'd like to see the
marketing research on that decision.

> If we had the ability to compile code / or hide source in
distributions, it would help spur the development of 3rd party add-on
industry and the off the shelf  apps too.

Maybe. But PHP and Perl don't have this, and apps are legion.
Meanwhile, Java does have this are apps are relatively sparse.

Realistically, I think the biggest difference is probably Apache Mod
support. The Java apps seem to be waxing with the solid progress they
are making with Apache support. So if /APACHE every ships ...

> Since money is currently to be made in writting custom solutions in
REBOL, it is not surprising that many of the REBOL apps don't see the
public light

Be interesting to at least see some of these listed on people's
resumes, or a developer's exchange on REBOL Web site. It's also
commonplace for a developers to write a general version of a custom
application, or to customize a general app, but we don't seem to see
much of that either.

-Ted.