No flaming from me; just puzzled head-scratching.  It's not clear to me
that REBOL and Java are conceptually close enough to be ABLE to compile
REBOL directly into Java bytecode.  Some REBOL features could be dealt
with by defining support classes in Java, with appropriate method calls
as the Java equivalent of REBOL words/phrases.  However, there are
REBOL features for which I don't see an obvious JVM representation.
For example:

1) REBOL's refusal to distinguish between data and code, whick allows
   one to construct a block and then  do  that block,

2) REBOL's ability to manipulate contexts,

3) REBOL's class-less view of objects...

It would certainly be possible to create a REBOL interpreter written
in Java, but that's not what I understood you to be suggesting (and
my experience with Java suggests that it would run like a pig on
tranquilizers...)

-jn-