Lachlan Hardy wrote:

Geoff Deering wrote:
> He said children don't
> have this problem, they regard the whole interface as potentially
> interactive. I think things have evolved a lot since then, but I notice > how quickly young users can learn a user interface, and it probably does
> not effect them to the same level if UIs do not behave in a standard
> way.  But if they don't, UIs are far more likely to impact the average
> user if they have none standard ways of communicating the nature and
> state of their interface.

We've been having interesting discussions at work lately about gaming interfaces and how they apply to UI on the web. We're still in the middle of roughing out concepts derived from that, but some interesting points have already been raised

In particular, that long-term gamers have far more adaptability towards interfaces. They seem to retain the abilities you mention above much better than those of us who don't game. These observations are drawn from totally informal testing of a very small sample but we can't justify anything else at this stage (although I'd love to see someone who can!)

The implications I see are that as gaming becomes more and more mainstream (which is pretty hard to argue with in Western society, I'd say, but feel free to shoot me down), more children are going to retain these skills into adulthood. This would mean that the potential for interfaces to become more complex and more individual will increase in future

I don't want to give the impression that I am in any way against standardising UIs on certain conventions - resulting in 'best practice' methods for communicating particular things to our users. I consider that a vital part of our duty to the evolution of the web

I just find this concept to be an exciting indicator of cool things to come - building on the aforementioned conventions creatively to produce stunning, fun, *usable* interfaces

Does anyone else feel this or do I need more coffee? (Or possibly a clue to staying on topic...)

Lachlan
The other other Lachlan

I missed this because of the change in thread title.

There are so many possibilities and variables here. I would not be surprised to find that some research shows enhanced user experience through gaming and also the opposite. Everyone responds to their environment differently. What I do think is important is that sites that cater for *real* personalisation of their content, via skinning, style switching, feeds, whatever, will be far more attractive to users that a one size fits all approach. But it is important as good design does enhance the user experience.

---------
Geoff
Only different from the other one through evolution and degradation.