Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
Joseph Bernhardt wrote:
I run an apache server and utilize the .htaccess file to run a php script on a 404 error. This php script grabs the contents of the current uri to display information. (example: www.joughslife.com/Rockport.html) My question is, will this have any effect as far as usability?

One question: why not use mod_rewrite instead? It's cleaner from a conceptual point of view, and won't send out an http status of 404. Using the error document functionality for this seems a bit of a perversion of its intended use...

This was my initial thought, but I am still a newbie when it comes to this kind of thing. I researched the mod-rewrite on the apache site and it looks overwhelmingly difficult for someone like me :). I outsource my hosting and do not have direct access to my server. Will the mod-rewrite be possible in this case? Also, is knowledge of Perl an extreme must? I know very, very little Perl.

> Also, the w3c validator was unable to
recognize the page as anything other than 404; will other spiders/bots be able to recognize content? Thank you, as always!

Not sure, but from a logical point of view, if a URL brings back a 404, the content should not really be indexed/associated with the URL...

Lindsay Evans suggested I use header("HTTP/1.1 200 OK"); in my PHP script for the header. Do you think this would be a temporary solution until I learn more about mod_rewrite?

Thanks as always!

Jough