On 9/5/06 5:21 PM, "Lachlan Hunt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> marvin hunkin wrote:
>> now just wondering with the relaxation of laws,  that will make it legal
>> for us to in our own private homes, able to tape tv shows, from video,
>> and dvd, and able to convert music in any format, to listen to.
>
> This is very much off-topic for this list, but which laws are you
> talking about and when were they relaxed?
>
>> if i did put them on a server, even though the tracks are 17 to 26
>> years old, why would i have to pay royalties to the copyright holders,
>
> Because the duration of copyright in Australia is currently 70 years (I
> think).

Off-topic for sure, but my understanding suggests that copyright persists
for 70 years *after the death of the author/composer*. So, it's author's
lifetime + 70 years. It's more complicated than that of course (the results
of collective endeavours like films for example, are seriously more
complicated), but that's the general rule. The only significant change that
I'm aware of is the extension to 70 years from 50, to fall in line with US
practice.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College