What it's doing for us here is to change two images in two different
locations of the document whilst only hovering over one or the other
image.

MY QUESTION is, is this behavior or presentation?

That's behavior, as it's in response to a user action (hovering).

The follow-up question to this will then be how to achieve this with
proper standards.

Standards-compliant javascript.  I don't know much about that, but
since ECMAscript is a web standard, I'm pretty sure someone else here
will be able to help with that.