Lachlan Hunt wrote:
Tony Crockford wrote:
A while back I was part of the MACCAWS team (http://www.maccaws.org) which did a pretty good job (IMHO) of creating a document that could be used to make a commercial case for adoption of web standards.

The advent of WCAG 2 and it's apparently almost impossible to understand language makes me wonder if there's any mileage in writing something similar to the MACCAWS Kit but with meeting Accessibility Standards in mind.

what do we think, any takers?

I was thinking pretty much along the same lines when I wrote my last post and suggested setting up a wiki. Although the idea seems similar to the intention of the WCAG Samurai, but I would much rather prefer an open process that anyone can get involved with.

I think the wiki is a good idea, although experience with MACCAWS showed that a lot of people found wiki navigation difficult to comprehend.

How about a wiki that requotes each guideline on a wiki page of its own and allows multiple authors to rephrase it in the context of pragmatic web design.

It could be edited until a consensus was reached and then the page locked.

would that fall foul of copyright on the original standard? or would it come under fair use?

to make it useful it would have to be summarising the guidelines as applying to a specific scenario - would that dilute the effect of the guidelines or make them easier to adopt in principle.

My concern about WCAG 2 is that if it's not easy to understand and simple to implement fewer people will bother to attempt it in the first place.

I'd be up for helping out with a wiki based contextual summarisation -
My first glance at the guidelines and Joe Clark's interpretation had me very confused and more than a little concerned about client reaction.

--
Join me: http://wiki.workalone.co.uk/
Thank me: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/1VK42TQL7VD2F