So we know that some really big sites have some awful markup right?
like iframes and inline css & js. stuff like....

style="overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap; float: left"
class="cornerBookmarks"> etc etc

The thing is, their stuff renders really quickly. even on a slow modem
connection, gmail is really quite snappy and usable. ie: in some
instances, I am sure this is not lazy programming. I know from 1st
hand experience & reading [1] that there are actual, real, performance
benefits with inlining styles and js.

Obviously it makes us sick to see markup like that but at the end of
the day (and if you're a 'moderate' standards enthusiast like me as
opposed to an 'extremist' one) if there's a commercial or user benefit
in breaking some rules - its not surprising how these decisions get
made. I get the feeling not everyone knows this though and just pans
(criticises) big companies & sites without knowing how they came up
with that result.

It may be useful to hear of some experiences where your own markup has
been compromised for performance. For someone learning this stuff from
scratch i think this can be useful to know why some sites are doing
this - and what they should follow or avoid for their own projects.

as an aside, i think it'll be really interesting to see how Doug
working for Google [2] will effect their markup.

cheers, pete

[1] - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735713243/
[2] - http://stopdesign.com/log/2006/05/27/going-to-google.html

Pete Ottery
Head of Design
News Interactive
A News Limited Company
Address: Level 3, 2 Holt Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010 Australia

Visit the News Interactive Network of sites:
NEWS.com.au | australianIT.com.au | escape.com.au
FOXSPORTS.com.au | realestate.com.au | careerone.com.au
carsguide.com.au | homesite.com.au