According to the W3C Guidelines [1] you can using the counter-increment:

The 'counter-increment' property accepts one or more names of counters (identifiers), each one optionally followed by an integer. The integer indicates by how much the counter is incremented for every occurrence of the element. The default increment is 1. Zero and negative integers are allowed.

But obviously for a cross browser solution, Thierry's example would be best.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#counters

On 30/05/06, Thierry Koblentz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to make an ordered list descending
> (10,9,8,7...)? I thought I saw something once on how to do this, but
> now I cannot locate it. Nor can I find anything via search.

Hi Mike,
I don't think you can do that "automatically". You'd have to use:
<ol>
<li value="10">item 10</li>
<li value="9">item 9</li>
<li value="8">item 8</li>