From: listdad@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Lachlan Hunt
Sent: Monday, 29 May 2006 10:28 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Accessibility standards - for commercial consumption

Tony Crockford wrote:
> My suggestion and hope, was that this community could create a
> document(s) that advised the web design community at large in a
> pragmatic and specific way how to *implement* the guidelines.
> Of course the Academic approach dictates one generic document that
> covers all technologies - easier to maintain and future-proof, and
> that's the answer I suspect the WAI will give when asked to extend WCAG2
> to include real-life specific and pragmatic examples.

Real life examples is supposedly what Techniques for WCAG 2.0 is all
about, though it's not very good or complete.

I think this illustrates what the web developer community should be
focussing on.  Rather than trying to translate a technical specification
to make it readable by average joe developers, it would be more helpful
to focus on the actual techniques that can be easily applied by others.

Much like Position is Everything focuses on practical examples and
explanations of CSS techniques and related issues, a site that does the
same for accessibility would be very useful.

There are several sites and resources that do offer accessibility tools
and advice, such as Juicy Studio and WATS.ca, but when it comes to
something that really walks a developer through accessibility from
designing and building with modern, accessible techniques; coping with
browser limitations, through to actually testing it with (and
understanding how a disabled person uses) assistive technology, there
really isn't all that much readily available.

How many people here actually test their sites with a screen reader (or
other assistive technology) regularly?  One of the major problems is the
price (JAWS, HPR and Windows-Eyes start from around $US800 or more), but
even using a trial version, I expect most of us wouldn't really know
where to begin.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/