David Dixon wrote:

As for my cigarette example, then yes, I think giving a hint as to colour of the symbol is valid, as this symbol is universal (at least in the UK). The red circle itself symbolises something which is not permitted. If you were to explain what a no smoking symbol looked like without saying the circle was red (even if they have no concept of red looks like) would give a lesser clue as to its purpose as providing its colour. In fact, just saying a red circle, would probably give the idea of something that is not permitted, even before saying it has a picture of a cigarette in it.

But again, this is only valid if the page in question with the no smoking sign is explicitly explaining the appearance and meaning of symbols. Otherwise, the purpose of that image is to signal "No smoking", which would then be a perfectly appropriate ALT text conveying the meaning of the image.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/