While reading a recent article [1] about AJAX applications, I had a
thought that will no doubt offend some, inspire others, and humor the
rest.  It seems that we are putting tons and tons of work into making
sure our documents are structured correctly to work with things such
as screen-readers and text-only displays - all good things indeed.

However, what I've noticed that you do not see are articles pushing
the screen reader manufacturers to make more capable and intellegent
readers for the browsers.....they seem to be able to do this for
desktop applications (at least to a reasonable level).  It seems that
many of the efforts we are making (as well as the WSG) to enable
accessibility are in fact disabling (and in many cases abandoning) the
rich features on the net - this goes back to the whole "magazine
article" site versus the "application" site - two different purposes,
two different needs - both based on the same underlying technologies,
and both need to be accessible.

I'm not saying this should be / is easy - perhaps screen reader
companies are already trying to do such a thing and I'm just ignorant
to the latest development(s).  I do however, find it curious that 90%
of the burden has been placed on us as web developers, while any other
market sector would simply point the finger back to the screen reader
vendor and scream "You fix it..."?????

Thanks for your time,
Mike Yeaney