Hi Mike,

I love your map - nice illustration, etc!

You may be interested... this is a very similar to a thing I did probably a
year ago now. It is a map to a tree park:
http://www.eastwoodhill.org.nz/walks/map.aspx You hover over areas then
click into them to see details about that area.  Originally the idea was to
use images inside the hover boxes - like you have - but currently not each
section has a suitable image.  Unfortunately also this part of the site had
budget and time constraints that we had to meet; as well as being rather
restricted in the graphics that we could use (it had to look like the hard
copy map), so I still feel like there is work to do here.

In terms of usability, I think people tend to struggle with the idea of
clicking into a map.  The child pages of the map get very few hits compared
to the map page itself.  However this could be more to do with the setting
of this particular map than the idea of a clickable map?  No budget at this
stage for usability testing and reviews... although I am hoping for this in
the near future.

Anyway it is fairly similar to what you have done, in a 'real life'
situation.  I used Stu Nichols' CSS image maps for inspiration.

Cheers,
Rachel