I have had experience of working with a EU project called Mercator (a group that promotes accessibility and inclusion of minority and regional languages).

I know from various meetings with them, that the whole "use a flag icon" method of determining a language is considered to be discriminatory to regions that speak a language but are not associated with it (how many people here from the UK or Australia get miffed when "english" is associated with a US flag??). They consider the whole concept of using flags as a description of language bad practice and non-descript.

The preferred method of language selection is what has been mentioned before, to inform the user of a language option using their own language (eg. option link that say "English", "Francais", "Cymraeg").

My own thoughts are that it the showing the language choice simply by showing the language should be more than sufficient as a description of what functionality of link does. Using whole sentences such as "View this Page in English", is fairly redundant as the native language itself (one french word in a whole page of english) should be quite descriptive enough as to what the expected function is.

Thanks,

David.