<snip>

> Email is SMTP or POP3  - (X)HTML is web.  The servers are
> different, the
>   protocols are different - everything is different.

You spoil your argument entirely there by mixing your network layers:
HTML is NOT a protocol, it runs on top of HTTP, which is an equivalent
transport protocol to SMTP.

The default transmission on HTTP is plain text, just as it is for SMTP,
it is only the relative conformity of the user-agents that make HTML
safe to use on the web.

For more info on how to do it successfully, try Sitepoint:
http://www.sitepoint.com/search/search.php?ps=10&q=email+format

Regards,
Mike