Felix Miata wrote:
> It may or may not be. There's typically little or nothing
> that graphics
> can offer to improve the communication of the Congressional Record or
> Shakespeare's fiction. A designer typically will think so regardless
> whether it really does or not.

This conclusion is drawn from a faulty assumption about the essential character
of design. "Design" does not necessarily mean "images" or, even less so,
"ornament".

Any mark-making or scheme thereof can be characterised as design and it refers
to a strategy directed towards articulating a particular intention or meaning.
For reference, you might want to see
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=design

Often or, indeed, usually, the most important aspects of a design are the
small, almost invisible aspects - whitespace, use of typography, the
_exclusion_ of unncessary information.

Having read many very poorly typeset, academic editions of numerous works of
literature etc, I would argue insistently that _good_ design is vital to
effective communication in any medium ...

... of course, the web (and browsers) present the possibility of "user
originated" design (user preferences for fonts, stylesheets etc). Certainly
most people on this list acknowledge and appreciate that fact.

> Design shouldn't interfere with access to the content. Graphics can
> distract, particularly background images. The design itself,
> independant
> of graphics, has similar power.

Whilst I would agree that a "design" should not interfere with "access to the
content", this seems like a confused point you make: I don't understand what
distinction you are drawing between "Design", "graphics and background images"
and "the design itself". Is there any difference?

The design is precisely the strategy by which access to the content-proper
(i.e. its meaning and intention) is facilitated.

> It's precisely due to the current implementations of graphics
> on the web
> that I expect little from them. I find no worse a randy
> scaled up image
> than an image too small to discern details in. Because
> they're generally
> equally bad, they might as well be scaled so that the physical
> relationships in the overall design can be preserved.

... it's true that there is a _lot_ of bad design on the web ... but it is also
true that people are still adapting to the web as a medium. It took 100s of
years for normative patterns of print design to become established.

The font-size issue covered in this discussion is, IMHO, a hangover from
print-design ... how else can you explain the curious fascination so many
designers have with "getting 10pt equivalent" text?! ;D

The problem here is not the fact of setting font-size per se, but rather the
attempt to _control_ its size by specifying as pixels _or_ percentage (with
percentage used as an implicit, "real-world" way of getting a particular pixel
size which assumes the guise of "being more accessible" ... rather than as a
genuine specification of text needing to be sized relatively to a dominant
default).

... but then, I know a few designers who would like to just accept default font
sizes and use true relative sizing, but are prevented from doing so by clients
and so forth (Patrick raised these types of constaints).

I feel that one of the good things about "web 2.0" is the way it seems to have
started to normalise the acceptance of default (large) font sizes ...

... that could either lead to a more widespread acceptance (or even desire)
among clients to accept default font sizes in user agents (to get the "web 2.0
look" ;D) or, less optimistically, could lead to this "style" being scorned in
future due to its association with a particular phase in the history of web
design (i.e. it becomes passe)

My apologies if this is a little of the topic of the thread, but I hate to see
people misuse the word design.

Either way, I don't think Felix needs to worry as much as he seems to be: as I
see it, the impetus of web development generally is leading it towards the
normalisation of both "web standards" and "accessibility". However, it is
perhaps inevitable that, in the process of being adopted into the mainstream, a
certain amount of dilution is occuring to the original concepts themselves.

Perhaps that isn't such a bad thing? (And I say that as an arch-purist! :D)

Chris

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number
785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS