I don't know if this will help, but I added hyper links to my <object> vs <embed> test page. As per different browser they all work differently.
http://www.designbyatfb.com/test/swftest2.html

I don't know what [an error occurred while processing this directive] this is doing there! lol

----- Original Message ----- From: "pdr Lists" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 3:45 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Re: what do you use instead of <embed>

Hi Germ

its just for a flash file which will act as the banner for the top of the webpage

You will need the <object> … </object> tag.

Check out this excellent article ... I work this way, and code is
widley supported by browsers, and passes validation.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

thanks for links and help

As for your second question:

Also when i tried putting the <a href> tags on either side so that it was a link, it didnt work. any special reason??

I would think that it is because <embed> … </embed> is a block-level
elements, and <a> … </a> is an inline element;  From the W3:
Generally, block-level elements may contain inline elements and other block-level elements. Generally, inline elements may contain only data and other inline elements. Inherent in this structural distinction is the idea that block elements create "larger" structures than inline elements.
[http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/struct/
global.html#h-7.5.3]

Regards,
Peter

--
Peter Dominic Ryan | raycity* : new media solutions : proven
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://raycity.com | mb: 0419 229 738