Pardon a newbie perspective, I like to show my skip navs a few pixels up, but visable, useful to see it as well as have it there, I hide it with a no show in the printing stylesheet. It allows easier keyboad navigation I think. I'm not sure of any SEO penalty for -9000 pixels, why not just a few pixels north of absolute screen top?

<a title="Skip the Menu and go straight to the start of the page Access Key Ctrl+0" href="#skipnav" name="Top" accesskey="0" tabindex="1">Skip Nav</a>&nbsp;

Stylesheet
.SkipNav{color:#330099;font-size:60%;position:relative;left:.2em;text- align:left;font-family:Georgia,"Courier New",Times,"Times New Roman",serif;margin-top: -.2em;margin-bottom: -1em;text-indent:-2em;line-height:30%;}

I've been working on seven different versions, trying to line up the homepage with div instead of tables in all version I can find of Win and Mac browsers, Javascript switches stylesheets.

Yikes! I was not ready for this yet, but they should be almost closely aligned, some work to do yet. Please let me know if there any major bugs, Safari can put BODY:after content at the top of the body the muck up all that absolute positioning, I tried em's for flexible font sizing, but had to go to pixels for accuracy, hope I am almost there.

My pithy advice, make the skip nav a few pixels up, but just visible with a good rollover or onfocus title.

Thanks for the postings you all let me listen in to and learn from.

Tim

http://www.hereticpress.com/index.html