I disagree with Patrick's assessment on several points:

10.2 - Some user agents such as Lynx linearise the page but do not support
<label> elements so it is still important to correctly position the labels.

1.5 - Some users are not able to use image maps for a variety of reasons so
I would always provide redundant text links. One reason is that it is often
difficult to see which area of the map has focus when using keyboard
navigation.

In our experience image maps are no obstacle for screen reader users but
they are more of a problem for users of screen magnifiers because they often
require both vertical and horizontal scrolling. Also the label for each area
is often provided by means of a tooltip because the areas are too small for
a text label, and the tooltip is often not fully visible without scrolling.
For these users a combobox is far more accessible.

10.3 - One of my testers still uses ZoomText 7, in which the Doc Reader
function does do a screen scrape and therefore reads across columns. Version
9 does not do this but there will be plenty of people still using earlier
versions.

10.4 - Totally agree. Default placeholding text does more harm than good.

All this raises an interesting issue. Does "until user agents..." mean
"until some user agents..." or "until most user agents..." or "until all
user agents..."? And how would we know when any of these criteria are met,
because I am not aware of any statistics for the usage of the various makes
and versions of user agent or AT?

With the exception of 10.3 all of these checkpoints are easily implemented
at little or no cost and they have little or no impact on the design so I
generally don't ignore any of them except 10.3.

Steve Green
Director
Test Partners Ltd / First Accessibility
www.testpartners.co.uk