I have not been following this thread so much so bare with me here!  If I am totally in left field ignore me. =)

I cannot speak for Patrick, but what I think that he is shaking his head at is the class names, the amount of class names, and markup that lacks semantic value.  I realize that the classnames are used purely for example here, but it leads us on sort of a painful ride when it is seen.

Jim