Zachary,

>>  Right now, the
> > instructions are separated into different paragraphs (separate <p></
> > p> for each), and then for some paragraphs, there is a relevant
> > image, included before the paragraph, and when styles are applied,
> > the image is left floated in the paragraph.

> If the question is understood, you can marry the text to an image
> with more predicable results, within a <dl>.

I'd also use a dl for that. It sounds like a faq. Thierry had a nice solution
for taht kind of pages using DOM scripting an a dl.

http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/toggle_elements.asp

I'd place the img inside of the dd and link it via id and <a href="#id"> with
the relevant text. (and some alt explanation+title as well...)

regards,

  Martin