From: Mark Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Sent: Friday, 4 August, 2006 9:34:31 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Support for IE5/Mac? (was Browser stats)

L-J Lacey wrote:
> I know it seems incredible, but there are many large
> businesses that I know of that will only allow IE to
> be used. I was as shocked as you but on further
> investigation into one such organisation it seemed to
> be a matter of cost as the users didn't have
> permission to download any programmes/software/etc so
> IT would have to come round to everyone's machine
> individually to install it.
>
> and that would cost money
>
> pants excuse I think...but these kind of organisations
> won't listen to any sort of reason!

We-ell, having been an IT manager in my time, 90% of your user base in a
big company is less than technically ept, to say the least, and half the
rest just want to load up Kazaa so they can download music. Most large
organizations I know of lock down the desktop to minimize damage.

It's frustrating when you're one of the few  who is capable of
downloading useful stuff and maintaining your own machine, but IT
managers are responsible for any illegal software found on the network,
and they'll get a right bollocking if an audit finds porn on some
tosser's system as well.

It's the exceptions that are the expensive items in terms of support. If
everyone runs the same desktop, it can be a lot simpler to maintain.

The IT managers who have my respect are the ones who recognize that not
all users are created equally and can make exceptions that help the
business. But then, I don't respect that many IT managers :-p

cheers

Mark Harris