Tom Livingston wrote:

On 8/9/06 6:36 AM, "Nick Fitzsimons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm not sure what he's trying to achieve with markup like:

Maybe it's me. Is the issue was that he had this empty UL sitting around in
his code or is there something wrong with this that I am too un-caffinated
to see? Was it wrong for the doc-type? I didn't look at his code...

I should have shown more of the surrounding markup: this was embedded in another list as the contents of the first list item. In other places, it contains a link to a video or audio file, so I assume his CMS is just too brain-dead to omit it when there's nothing to link to. I removed it using DOM Inspector, and its absence doesn't break the layout.

When there _is_ a link there, it has a title attribute but no content, or just a single &nbsp; as content, and is then made visible using CSS background images. This is a really bad practice; an icon linking somewhere deserves to be in the page if it's the only visible content for that link. I don't think that site will be getting any awards for accessibility any time soon.

Cheers,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons